|BOOKINGS ARE NOW CLOSED
Date: 7th July 2012
Cost: R650 per person (includes goodie bag, water tables, lunch and prize giving braai)
Categories: The Num-Num Challenge (36.5km) or Rough It (15km)
Format: Solo knee-breaker. There are steep up hills, down hills, swing bridges and ladders
Terrain: Explore the hidden gems of the Highveld Escarpment. Gorges, kloofs, indigenous forests, sandstone labyrinths and open grasslands. Waterfalls galore, game and birds
Where: R541 between Machadodorp and Badplaas, Mpumalanga. See below for GPS co-ordinates. Directions will be sent to runner’s who are confirmed
Contact: 082 889 6757 or 013 256 9263
ENTRY LIMITED TO 100 RUNNERS
HOW TO BOOK
Bookings will open to a VIP List on 25 January at 12pm. Email email@example.com to get on the list.
A link will be emailed to all runners at 10am on 25 January for credit and debit card bookings via www.trailrunning.co.za.
From 1st February 2012 bookings will be open on www.trailrunning.co.za.
There will be no refunds for cancellations. Substitutions can be made before 10 June 2012.
Cell: 072 889 9284
You can stay at one of the Num-Num hiking camps for R150pppn on a self-catering basis. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking. A list of accommodation in the area will be sent to all people whose entry is confirmed.
REGISTRATION & START
1. Registration desk will be open from 4pm – 7.30pm at the Pongola Express Camp on Friday 6 July. Otherwise you must arrive at least half an hour before your allocated start time to register, sign the indemnity form and collect your race tag.
2. There will be a staggered start of groups of 10 people from 6.30am. Your start time will be sent to your at least a week before the race. The 36.5km experienced runners will start first.
3. You must ensure that you collect your ‘race tag’ from the RaceTime Team.
4. There will not be a group briefing. You will be sent a briefing pack, please read this carefully, and there will be an ‘Information Stand’ at the race start if you have questions.
MAPS & ROUTE
Detailed maps will be sent out closer to the event. In the interim you can refer to the maps on our website: http://www.thenum-numtrail.co.za/download_maps.html
• The Num-Num Challenge (36.5km) – this will be the standard Num-Num Trail. For the race there will be a few marshalled detours so that you get more opportunity to stretch your legs on farm roads.
• The Rough It (15km) – See Day 1 & Day 4 Trail maps. Again there will be a few marshalled detours.
FOOD & WATER
You are responsible for your own food and energy supplements on the day. Water is safe to drink on the trail and from taps – obviously don’t fill up at stagnant pools. Included in the price of the race is:
1. Starter table – tea, coffee and muffins
2. Water tables – There will be 5 water tables at each of the hiking camps. Water tables as a minimum have oatmeal biscuits, water, orange juice, bananas and salt. Sponsors may provide additional energy drinks and snacks at their tables.
3. Lunch – lunch packs will be provided at the below camps. The packs will include peanut butter and jam sandwich, banana or apple, chocolate, crisps and a drink (fruit juice or Coke Classic)
• 36.5km runners – Candlewood and Wathaba
• 15km runners - Pongola Express
4. Finishing table – A cold energy or soda drink to refresh you after the long haul
5. Prize Giving Braai – There will be a braai at the Pongola Express Camp from 7pm on 7 July. Hearty country fare including lots of meat (boerewors, lamb chops and chicken), mix of fresh salads and chocolate cake desert. There will be vegetarian options. Keep an eye out for Francis’ Special Potjie. Nora’s shabeen will be open to buy drinks. You are welcome to bring your own.
All runners are required to have on them during the trail race:
• A cell phone (please have the following number programmed in - 072 889 9284)
• A minimum of 1 liter of water carrying capacity,
• Emergency nutrition
• Some basic first aid e.g. plasters and antiseptic. There will be paramedics available.
• Appropriate weather gear (if it is cold and raining you must have a rain coat, not just a
HOW TO FIND US
The Num-Num trail is 3 hours from Hyde Park in Johannesburg. Follow the N12 past OR Tambo airport towards Benoni and eMalahleni (previously Witbank). It turns into the N4 at eMalahleni. At Machadodorp take the R541 towards Badplaas. The GPS co-ordinates for each of the camps are listed below. Pongola Express camp will be the main hub – start and finish, registration and prize giving braai.
25° 47’ 49.3” S
30° 22’ 25.2” E
25° 47’ 49” S
30° 22’ 25” E
25° 49’ 04.1” S
30° 22’ 44.5” E
25° 49’ 35” S
30° 20’ 35” E
25° 48’ 32.3” S
30° 21’ 29.1” E
SUPPORT FOR SIJILA
Sijila, one of the farm workers who helps maintain The Num-Num trail, is very eager to participate in this year’s race. The Num-Num owners will cover his entry fee, food etc. If you would like to contribute towards buying him a pair of trail running shoes please
MASSAGES, STRAPPINGS & GREAT ADVICE - KINETICS.CO.ZA
Kinetics.co.za is a team of registered Biokineticists that have joined forces and serve to promote health, training and injury management to the South African public. We live by our slogan "From Injury to Activity" and promote health and participation in exercise to people of all ages and backgrounds in order to keep them strong, healthy and happy.
The Kinetics.co.za team will be at Pongola Express on 6 - 8 July to give you advice on keeping injury free. All runners will get a free 10 minute massage. Kinetics.co.za can also strap ankles or knees for R40. If you fancy a longer and more intense sports massage it is just R150 for 45 minutes. You can contact Janine below to make an appointment for either 7 or 8 July 2012.
Contacts: Janine@kinetics.co.za / 083 280 9762
At Pongola Express Camp there will be limited parking inside the camp. A staff member will be on site to look after cars parked on the R541 and local police will be present. Where possible please share cars to the start and finish of the race. All cars are parked at the owners own risk. Please remove all valuables from your car. The area has a low crime rate and so far we have not had any security issues but please be vigilant. Parking is free.
FILM PRODUCTION & PHOTOGRAPHY
D4 Productions will be making a 26 minute film of the Num-Num Trail Challenge to be aired on SuperSport. All runners must agree to their image being included in the footage of the race event. You do not have to agree to be interviewed.
There will also be a professional photographer taking photos of the Trail Race and associated events.
NUM-NUM TRAIL RACE RESULTS - 2011
To find out how the 2011 Num-Num Trail went please go to:
- You must be over 16 to do the 36.6km and 15km races
- If under the age of 21, your Parent/Guardian must sign the indemnity.
- You must have your ‘Race Tag’ on you at the start and finish. It is the responsibility of each runner to ensure that your ‘Race Tag’ is scanned.
- All race numbers must be worn on the front of your t-shirt and be visible at all times.
- The race cut off time will be 6.30pm. Marshalls will start to detour people from Wathaba from 4.30pm if we think you will not complete before dark.
- The Entry Fee includes goodie bag, race, water tables, prize giving braai and lunch. It does not include transport to and from the start, alcohol and additional nutrition or energizers.
- You are responsible for your own wellbeing on the trail. If you have a heart condition or other medical issue, consult your doctor before booking and let us know in advance.
- Paramedics will be on site. Costs for any medicals supplies is liable to the runner (e.g. bandages, pain killers)
- There will be watering stations at the camps, but you are expected to be self sufficient on the trail. It is safe to drink the water on the estates but do not drink from stagnant pools.
- The race route is marked. Do not take short cuts. If you do, you will be DSQ! Ensure you know the route, read the briefing pack and ask questions at the information stands.
- Seconding is only allowed at the camps and is not encouraged.
- You are required to take a cell phone, a minimum of 1 litre of water carrying capacity, emergency nutrition and appropriate weather gear (if it is cold and raining you must have a rain coat, not just a wind-breaker)
- Save this cell number on your phone: 072 889 9284 for emergency use only.
- Each individual is responsible for carrying their own litter off the trail. Absolutely no litter will be tolerated. There are bins at all the water tables.
- Fire is a hazard. Only light fires in the designated areas.
- Participants indicate acceptance of the rules of The Num Num Trail Challenge, by their signature / tick on the entry form.
- Sorry, no dogs on the run or the camps.
- Please do not pick wild flowers, chip rocks or gather any other artefacts or trophies. Take photos, leave footprints.
- No refunds once you have entered. Substitutions are allowed until 10 June 2012. Arrange transfer of funds between each other and inform us in writing to email@example.com.
- Prize Giving will be at approximately 7.00pm on 7 July 2011. Be there to claim your prize. The judge’s decision is final.
There is a high risk of veld fires in July. Please only make fires in the designated areas at each camp. If there is a fire:
- Please call or sms 072 889 9284 and make us aware of your position
- You cannot out run a veld fire. It will go faster up ill than down hill
- Make your way to a road, river or camp but please stay to the path
- Get rid of any flammable materials and if possible wet your person
- Put a cloth of natural material over your nose and mouth
- If you are surrounded by fire get behind a rock or river bank. Stay close to the ground where there will be more air.
Please note that the Num-Num Trail owners accept NO RESPONSIBLITY OR LIABILITY for:
- Death, injury or illness sustained or suffered by any person.
- Theft, loss or damage to any property.
- Any item left behind at our facilities.
FROM ALL THE TEAM WE HOPE YOU HAVE AN INCREDIBLE RACE!!